Obstetric Ultrasound Foundation Course
2nd Dec 2021
Chaired by Professor Christoph Lees, this one-day comprehensive foundation course is ideal for O&G trainees, specialist midwife sonographers, and anyone starting their scanning career and working towards their RCOG qualification.
It will cover the theoretical elements of the two compulsory RCOG Basic Ultrasound Modules via a series of lectures from the experienced and highly qualified obstetrics team at QCCH and St Mary’s Hospital, London. It will also give a useful introduction to the intermediate modules.
Theory day: Thursday 2nd December 2021, only: £125. (Trainees based at either QCCH or St Mary’s, London may register at special internal rates of £100)
A full Programme of the day can be downloaded here: OUF Programme- Dec 2021.
The day’s programme will cover the following topics
- Introduction: What you are going to learn and why?
- What the RCOG modules require
- How ultrasound works and safety
- Databases, documentation and communication
- Setting up the machine for scanning: TV and TA ultrasound; knobs, functions and probes
- Scanning the normal early intra-uterine pregnancy up to 12 weeks, measuring embryonic structures and CRL
- Diagnosing miscarriage
- Presentation of Case Studies
- Biometry, amniotic fluid and the placenta
- The Anomaly Scan: FASP criteria
- Multiple pregnancies: what to look out for,
- Fetal growth and assessment in the 3rd trimester
*All topics and speakers are subject to change
Chair of our Obstetric Ultrasound Foundation course, Professor Christoph Lees, is an international authority on fetal assessment and in particular the use of Doppler ultrasound to assess the health of the baby. He leads research in this area, scanning in labour, and non-invasive fetal surgery. Research projects include TRUFFLE — studying infants with fetal growth restriction — and human studies of high-intensity focused ultrasound.
Professor Lees is;
- Professor of Obstetrics at Imperial College London
- Honorary Consultant in Obstetrics and Head of Fetal Medicine at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, Centre for Fetal Care, Queen Charlotte’s and Chelsea Hospital
- Visiting Professor at the Department of Development and Regeneration, KU Leuven, Belgium
- Trustee, International Society of Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Chairman of the ISUOG Doppler and vascular imaging group
- member of the ISUOG Safety Committee